Remembering the First World War
2014 marks one hundred years since the outbreak of World War One. The war lasted from 1914 until 1918. The Nation will mark the full span of the centenary until 2018.
A series of events is being planned to commemorate battles and other significant events such as:
- Outbreak of war August 1st 2014
- First day of conflict August 4th 2014
- Gallipoli campaign April 2015
- Battle of the Somme July 1st 2016
- Battle of Jutland May 31st 2016
- Passchendale June 17th 2017
- Armistice Day November 11th 2018
South Bucks District Council is taking a supportive role by helping to guide and co ordinate local community projects and events with partners including the Buckinghamshire Lieutenancy.
Towns & parish councils, community organisations and schools intending to commemorate the First World War are asked to let us know about your plans by contacting the Community Team by telephone: on 01895 837200 Email: Community@southbucks.gov.uk
The Imperial War Museum is providing the national lead as a key partner in the First World War.