Submitting a Planning Application

Submitting Planning Applications

Some works do not require planning permission. This is known as Permitted Development . To obtain advice relating to a proposal prior to submitting a formal planning application, you can use our pre-application advice service


Applying electronically

The best way to make your application is online via the Planning Portal - applications where there are a number of tools and guides to help you prepare and submit your application. You do not need to send us any paper copies if you apply this way. Alternatively, please email your application in full to

Applying in hard copy

If you apply in hard copy you will need to supply us with a minimum of  2 hard copies of all forms and documents, although more copies may be required for large and/or controversial applications.

You can download and print paper copies of all forms. 
You can view  most popular forms

These forms should not be used to send applications to other planning authorities as their local validation requirements may differ.

Paying for your application

To find out the correct Planning Fee please refer to the Planning Portal Fee List

pay online making sure you choose the option New Planning Application without VAT from the dropdown.

Alternatively you can send us a cheque (made payable to South Bucks District Council)  or call us on 01895 837210.

Please give the site address (and your Planning Portal number if you have one) as a reference.

Getting it right first time

Please note that all plans submitted MUST have a scale bar, a plan/drawing number and you must also send us the necessary fee. Any applications missing any of these things will not be made valid.

In preparing your application, we would ask you to refer to the Icon for pdf Local Checklist [73.08KB]  and preferably send a completed copy with your application. The checklist is part of our   Icon for pdf Local Validation Requirements [161.7KB] .

Useful Information

Vehicular Access [Dropped Kerb] and hard surfacing

Design and Access Statements

Charges for Section 106 Agreements

View  Planning obligations for education provision. Contributions will be sought on development proposals of 4 or more dwellings where Bucks County Council advises that there is pressure to provide education services.

View Information on the South Bucks District Council policy on affordable housing provision, including those sites that should contribute, together with links to the Council's Model S106 Agreements.

Information on the implementation of Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDS) as of April 2015 can be accessed via the following page SUDS: Information

Other civil matters

Icon for pdf Sample Article 6 notice [61.68KB]

What happens next?

Once valid, your application can be viewed and tracked online Public Access

There are many steps that a planning application must undergo. Please refer to our The Planning Process - A Step by Step Guide