To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from the local authority. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.
An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:
- keeping an animal boarding establishment Pet Animals Act 1951
- keeping a pet shop under the Protection of Animals Act 1954
- keeping animals under the Protection of Animals Act 1954
- owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animal Welfare Act 2006
Application Evaluation Process
All veterinary fees incurred by the Authority in respect of the licence application will be recoverable at cost - you will be invoiced after an inspection has taken place. In the event of an application being refused, the application fee or any part will not be refunded under any circumstances. In the event that an application is withdrawn, a refund of the application fee or any part will not be refunded under any circumstances.
The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:
- That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
- That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
- That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
- That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
- That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.
|New Animal Boarding Establishment||£496.00|
|Renewal of Animal Boarding Establishment||£243.00|
|New Home Boarding Establishment||£369.00|
|Renewal of Home Boarding Establishment||£194.00|
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the Council within a reasonable period, please contact us using the information below.
Failed Application Redress
Please contact the Licensing Team in the first instance.