Anti-social Behaviour


The responsibility for tackling antisocial behaviour depends on the specific nature and circumstances of the concern and may fall to the local authority, police or your housing association.

Antisocial behaviour is defined as 'behaviour by a person which causes, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to persons not of the same household as the person'

There are three main categories for antisocial behaviour, depending on how many people are affected:

  • Personal antisocial behaviour is when a person targets a specific individual or group.
  • Nuisance antisocial behaviour is when a person causes a detrimental impact upon the quality of life of an individual or the community as a whole.
  • Environmental antisocial behaviour is when a person's actions has a detrimental impact upon the environment.

Are you willing to mediate?

We appreciate that in some cases it can be difficult to talk to your neighbour about the matter and you still wish to settle the matter informally.  In these instances additional assistance may be obtained from Mediation.

  • 7 out of 10 people who had used mediation would use it again.
  • In 8 out of 10 disputes when the neighbours met, an agreement was reached.
  • You do not have to be in the same room as your neighbour.
  • The mediators can visit you at home and at a time that suits you. They are independent and the visit is very informal.
  • Mediation is free.

Alternatively you can report any of the above or the consequences (e.g. graffiti or litter dropping) to us through our online form but we may refer your request to or work with another agency such as the Thames Valley Police or a social landlord such as Paradigm or L&Q Housing.

Report anti-social behaviour

If what you want to report is not covered please phone the Thames Valley Police non-emergency number 101 or your social landlord. The Paradigm Housing customer services number is 0300 303 1010. The L&Q customer services number is 0300 456 9996.

In an emergency where there is immediate risk to an individual or property please phone 999.