Submitting a Planning Application

Submitting Planning Applications


Some works do not require planning permission. This is known as Permitted Development.

Applying electronically

The most efficient way to make and pay for your application is online via the Planning Portal. Registration is easy and you can complete your application form, buy site location plans and upload supporting documents. 

The benefits of applying online include:

  • You can work on your applications in draft before submission
  • Immediate delivery and acknowledgement
  • Savings on postage and printing costs
  • Online help function when completing applications
  • Online record of your completed applications

Please note: a Planning Portal application cannot be progressed until all the necessary supporting information and the appropriate fee is received.

You do not need to send us any paper copies if you apply this way and, as it populates our systems automatically, validating your application will be quicker.

Either way, please keep your documents under 10MB & name them clearly and simply such that the general public can easily understand the content.

If you encounter a problem filling out an application via the Planning Portal or have a query with how to use the Planning Portal website please contact the Planning Portal Help Centre or call them on 0333 323 4589.

Applying in hard copy

Applying online via the Planning Portal is the Council's preferred way to submit your planning application to us. However, if you need to apply in hard copy please supply us with one copy of all forms and documents, although more copies may be required for large and/or controversial applications.

You can download and print paper copies of all forms from the Planning Portal website. To find out the correct Planning Fee please refer to the Planning Portal Fee List. Note, there is no VAT applicable to planning application fees. All cheques for planning applications must be made payable to Buckinghamshire Council.

These forms should not be used to send applications to other planning authorities as their local validation requirements may differ.

Getting it right first time

Please note that all plans submitted should have a scale bar (or measurable dimensions), and be drawn to a standard metric scale. They should also include a plan/drawing number and you must also send us the necessary fee. Any applications missing any of these things will not be made valid.

Please see Planning Application Requirements webpage.

Useful Information

Vehicular Access [Dropped Kerb] and hard surfacing

Design and Access Statements

Charges for Section 106 Agreements

View  Planning obligations for education provision. Contributions will be sought on development proposals of 4 or more dwellings where Buckinghamshire Council advises that there is pressure to provide education services.

View Information on the South Bucks Area policy on affordable housing provision, including those sites that should contribute, together with links to the Council's Model S106 Agreements.

Information on the implementation of Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDS) as of April 2015 can be accessed via the following page Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems Statement (SUDS)

Other civil matters

Icon for pdf Sample Article 6 notice [61.68KB]

What happens next?

Once valid, your application can be viewed and tracked online Public Access

There are many steps that a planning application must undergo. Please refer to our The Planning Process - A Step by Step Guide

Processing your information when you make an application

We are processing your information for the purposes of a planning application or notification. All planning applications and notifications received by the Council are processed in accordance with the Town and County Planning Act 1990.

Purpose of processing

Your information will be used by the Council for the purpose of registering, validating and determining the planning application or notification submitted. The information will be made available on the public register, and this will include the name and address of the applicant as well as the details of the agent if applicable. Your personal email address, signatures, contact numbers and any financial information will be redacted from public viewing but we will hold this information on our planning system and it will be available to all planning staff.

Information security and data sharing

Your information is stored securely within the planning system; any information that is not made available for public viewing will not be accessible to other services within the Council.

Your application or notification information (excluding personal contact numbers, email address and signatures) will be shared with other statutory consultees such as the Highways Agency, Natural England, Building Control, Buckinghamshire Council etc. This is a statutory requirement under the Town and County Planning Act 1990.


All planning applications and notifications are held on the statutory and will not be deleted.

For further information please refer to the Council's Privacy Notice.