Welfare Reform

Welfare Advice

Social Sector Size Criteria

Working Age tenants who occupy Council owned properties or properties owned by Registered Social Landlords will have their benefit restricted if they occupy a larger house than the Government says that they need. If they have an additional bedroom there will be a 14% reduction and if they have two or more additional bedrooms the reduction will be 25%

The Benefit Cap

This was a change introduced in 2013 which affects working age claimants and puts a cap on the maximum level of income that you can receive from benefits. Some benefits will however be exempt from the cap. Housing Benefit is the benefit that will be reduced when someone's benefit income reaches the cap level. The cap is most likely to affect larger families and will not include those families in receipt of Working Tax Credit or Disability Living Allowance.

Council Tax Support

In April 2013 Council Tax Benefit was replaced by Council Tax Support

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit that has started to replace 6 existing benefits including Housing Benefit with a single monthly payment. The benefits to be replaced are:-

  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Currently in South Bucks you can still claim Housing Benefit however Universal Credit will gradually be rolled out across the country.
Further details and updates are available at GOV.UK Universal credit