Food Export Health Certificates

Legal services

About Export Health Certificates

Health Certificates are issued on request to food businesses who wish to export foodstuff outside Great Britain. They are provided to assist local exporters in meeting the food safety requirements.

Certificates we can supply

We can issue some EHCs for Products of Animal Origin (POAO), but these are limited to fishery products, live bivalve molluscs and certain composite products containing exclusively fishery and/or egg products.

Where receiving countries only need confirmation of registration and/or compliance with domestic law, we can provide attestations to this effect for premises in our jurisdiction.

Certificates we cannot supply

We are unable to supply EHCs for POAO which require an Official Veterinary (OV) signature.

Type of certificateCharge (net of VAT) from 1 April 2020
Enhanced (Where the LA determines additional checks
Certificate requiring a site visit£210
Additional scanned copy of certificate£4


Apply for an Export Health Certificate

Applications are made through the .GOV website: Get an export health certificate

Please contact us via email before submitting your online application through the .GOV website.


Additional information:

  • Your business must either be registered or approved. 
  • We shall always try and incorporate the wording indicated on your form, but we obviously cannot include wording that implies that we vouch for the safety of the individual batch/consignment of food. Our wording normally reflects the fact that your foodstuffs are produced and stored in premises subject to our jurisdiction as a food authority, and which have been subject to a satisfactory inspection programme.
  • We reserve the right to decline to issue a certificate if your premises, hygiene standards and or practices fail to meet food safety standards.
  • Officers may want to inspect a consignment before the certificate is issued.