Permitted Development

Some works to residential properties do not require planning permission and can be carried out under Permitted Development (PD) regulations.

For general advice about whether specific works to a house require planning permission, then please use the Planning Portal's Interactive House to check. Just choose the part of the house you are thinking of changing and the relevant PD rules will be explained.

There are also some useful guides on the Planning Portal with regard to a large number of common projects.

Restrictions on Permitted Development Rights

Please note that the permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats or maisonettes.

Also, some properties will have had their PD rights removed or restricted. If this is the case you would need to submit an application.

In some areas of the district, permitted development rights are more restricted. If you live in a Conservation Area  you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which would not normally need an application in other areas of the district. If your proposal affects a Listed Building, it will be necessary to obtain Listed Building Consent before undertaking any work. 

To find out if your property still has its PD rights, please see the instructions in our Planning FAQs. If you would like us to undertake the check for you, this will attract a fee. Please see the Pre-application advice service we offer. 

Is the work you wish to carry out Permitted Development?

Planning Officers can only advise informally whether specific proposals might require planning permission.  If you would like written confirmation from us that you do not need planning permission you need to apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness. There are two different forms depending on whether you have done the work or would like to.  If you have not already done the work, choose the Certificate of Lawfulness (Proposed) forms. If you have already done the work you need Certificate of Lawfulness (Existing) forms.

Having such a Certificate can be particularly useful if you wish to sell your property in the future, as it provides written proof that work you have done did not require planning permission.  

Submitting a Planning Application

New PD and Prior Notification regulations introduced in 2013 and revised in 2014 & 2015 -  re: Single Storey Rear Extensions, Changes of Use from Office to Residential and multiple other Changes of Use

Detail of these regulations is summarised at New PD rules

Building Control

Please be aware that Building Control and Planning are two separate processes, and whilst Planning Permission may not be required for certain works, you may still be required to obtain Complying with Building Regulations

Do you want further advice?

If so, you may wish to make use of our pre-application advice service