Planning - Privacy Notice
Who we are
We are the planning service for Chiltern and South Bucks District Councils. This privacy notice explains how we use information in the course of our work as a local planning authority. This work includes
- Making decisions and providing advice on planning applications
- Making decisions and providing advice relating to trees and hedges
- Responding to allegations of unlawful development
- Monitoring development
- Entering legal agreements, serving notices and promoting the best use of land
If you have questions about data or privacy, please contact our data protection officer via email@example.com or South Bucks District Council, Capswood, Oxford Road, Denham UB9 4LH
How we get your information
We get applicant information in two ways:
- Supplied to us directly (or via a planning agent on their behalf)
- Received from a third party website that provides a transaction service, such as the Planning Portal and iApply
We also receive comments, representations, allegations and questions via email, letter, and through our online PublicAccess web form.
What we do with your information
To allow us to make decisions on their applications individuals must provide us with some personal data (e.g. name, address, contact details). In a small number of circumstances individuals will provide us with "special category data" in support of their application (e.g. evidence of medical history).
We use the information provided to us to make decisions about the use of land in the public interest. This is known as a "public task" and is why we do not need you to "opt in" to allow your information to be used.
Some information provided to us, we are obliged under the regulations to make available on planning registers. This is a permanent record of our planning decisions that form part of the planning history of a site, along with other facts that form part of the "land search".
How we share your information
We do not sell your information to other organisations. We do not move your information beyond the UK. We do not use your information for automated decision making.
We will make details of planning applications available online so that people can contribute their comments. We will sometimes need to share the information we have with other parts of the council-for example to establish how long a building has been used as a dwelling.
Redaction ('blanking things out')
We operate a policy where we routinely redact the following details before making forms and documents available online:
- Personal contact details for the applicant - e.g. telephone numbers, email addresses
- Special Category Data - e.g. supporting statements that include information about health conditions or ethnic origin
- Information agreed to be confidential
Sometimes we might decide it is necessary, justified and lawful to disclose data that appears in the list above. In these circumstances we will let you know of our intention before we publish anything.
If you are submitting supporting information which you would like to be treated confidentially or wish to be specifically withheld from the public register, please let us know as soon as you can - ideally in advance of submitting the application. The best way to contact us about this issue is via firstname.lastname@example.org or South Bucks District Council, Capswood, Oxford Road, Denham UB9 4LH
Retention ('how long we keep your information for')
We process many different types of information according to our retention policy.
• Statutory registers (e.g. planning decisions, approved plans, legal agreements) are kept forever
• Supporting documents, reports, representations, letters and other background documents vary in their retention periods.
Complaints and problems
Making decisions on planning matters is a public task and you do not have the right to withdraw consent. However if you think we have got something wrong or there is a reason you would prefer for something to not be disclosed please ask us by email via email@example.com or South Bucks District Council, Capswood, Oxford Road, Denham UB9 4LH
If you need to make a complaint specifically about the way we have processed your data you can complain using the following:
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By post: South Bucks District Council, Capswood, Oxford Road, Denham UB9 4LH
Having exhausted the Councils procedure, if you believe that we have failed to respond properly then, you can direct your concerns to the Information Commissioner's Office.